1 in 6 men and 1 in 5 women will experience a stroke in their lifetime; Every two seconds, someone in the world suffers a stroke; Every six seconds, someone dies of a stroke; Every six seconds, someone’s quality of life will forever be changed – they will permanently be physically disabled due to stroke.
Today is World Stroke Day, a day dedicated to promoting stroke awareness. SOC is proud to be one of the companies helping to fight this epidemic. There are 800,000 strokes a year in the USA; approximately one of every 50 is evaluated by a SOC physician.
In honor of World Stroke Day we want to remind you of the tremendous work we do made possible because of the amazing employees, partners, hospital partners, and physicians we work with. Consider that, with your help, SOC:
- Provides 24/7/365 on-call emergency teleneurology coverage for 225+ hospitals in 23 states
- Delivers over 2,000 emergency teleneurology consultations each month
- Has conducted more than 55,000 emergency teleneurology consultations in less than 6 years – more than any bricks and mortar medical facility in the country
- Delivered 13,000+ stroke consults per year
- Oversaw the administration of t-PA 900+ YTD 2012
Knowing the warning signs and getting someone who may be suffering a stroke to the hospital quickly allows them to be assessed for the clot-busting drug t-PA, which may reduce disability or death from stroke. An easy way to recognize the sudden signs of stroke is to remember FAST:
F – Face - can the person smile?
A – Arm - Can the person raise both arms?
S – Speech - Can the person speak clearly and understand what you say?
T – Time - Act FAST!
By simply educating yourselves and your families on the signs and symptoms of stroke and seeking immediate treatment, together we can make a profound improvement in the care of stroke patients across the country!
Joe Peterson, MD